Bridge to Brisbane

Up at 4.30am we'd crashed by 5.20am, literally! It was a terrible start to the day, we picked up Darryl and made our way back through the clubbing district of Brisbane. Even at 5am it was alive, the revelers were still spilling out on to the street. We turned a corner and the next thing we knew a huge Toyota Hilux turned into the drivers side door, as we continued forward it scraped down the side of the car. Its huge bull bars tore at the metal and smashed the rear passenger window. Thankfully Darryl was sitting on the other side and avoided being showered in glass!

We pulled off the road and I grabbed the details of the driver, I wont say too much as I'm not sure it's all settled yet. Although he managed to hit us and a taxi, I think he's claiming it's not his fault.

Anyway, here's the damage.



The assessment centre wouldn't let me drive the car home, they said the pillar was twisted and it wouldn't provide any protection in another accident.

Our car isn't worth much and we were hoping it would be a write off, we even spent a couple of afternoons looking for a new car. Nothing too serious, just a bit of web window shopping.

Sadly it's going to live, the garage called us, they'll have it fixed in a couple of weeks :-(


Back to the morning of the race, Amy took the car home. The drivers door wouldn't shut by itself, it was all bent out of shape. Fortunately with a little persuasion Daryl managed to shut it, spilling glass as he slammed it and attracting attention from passing drunken revelers!

Darryl and I jumped in a cab and snaked our way through the suburbs of Brisbane trying to avoid the traffic. We had a very reluctant taxi driver, every time he hit a jam he's encourage us to get out and walk to the start of the race. I'd ask him how far we were and he'd reply about 4k! We managed to persuade him to drop us a bit further and winced as he nearly had a couple of accidents himself.

Once we got to the start, we were pretty late and found ourselves starting with the walkers. Having said that we both did really well.

At the finish.


I was really pleased with my time, especially with the circumstances.



I spent the whole run worrying about Amy, she was pretty shaken up after the accident. I was delighted to find her at the finish line:

Worried, before finding Amy.

Excitement of finding Amy on the finish line!



Survivors!

2 comments:

MacPurdys said...

Ah, I love the before and after pic!!!

Cari said...

me too!