Slipped, then hit the wall running!

It's been so wet lately I haven't got as many runs done as I'd like to. I saw a break in the clouds this morning and decided to go for a long one. It was still a bit wet though and around the 8k mark I slipped :-(



I picked myself up again and managed to do 36k total in 3h8m. Which isn't too bad at all! More importantly I hit the wall. That's the point where your body has run out of readily available energy and has to get all your energy from burning fat. Burning fat alone doesn't get your muscles nearly as much energy as they'd like so you feel really drained. In the actual race I'll have to have sports drinks or gel packs to avoid hitting the wall. I just wanted to do it out of experimentation, hopefully it wont happen in the race, but a least I know what it's like and that I can carry on running through it.

5 comments:

Cari said...

That's a great time, If you can do the same at the marathon you'll nail a time around 3:40. Awesome! Try not to slip and bleed at the race :)
You must have gone down hard.

Steve

Amy said...

aw, my poor Dan! I'm sorry I'm not there to nurse you better. At least you've not popped your shoulder out this time, the cuts will heal soon.

Good effort on the time, I can't wait to watch you run it!

Love you lots
xxx

Clotilde said...

Ouch... hope your shoulder is fine... looks painful!

MacPurdys said...

Wow!!! 36KM! You crazy man! I'm sure you didn't care about the fall after running 36KM! If you do run a marathon, I'm sure Amy will be there to supply all your liquids so you don't hit a wall!

Great job Dan!

Cari said...

well done dan! the bruises and blood just make it look even more hard core!;)

Cari